J&S Construction’s roots began in 1926, when Pat Stites began doing construction work for people around the Upper Cumberland Region. In 1932, during the Great Depression, Pat began a small gravel company known as Builder’s Supply. All the while, his family business had many firsts, including: the first to introduce ready-mix concrete to the region, the first to open a cash-and-carry lumber yard and the first to design and build a concrete block plant.
J&S Construction got its official start in 1957 by Pat's son, John D. Stites. Today, over half a century later, John's sons, Jack and Johnny, are leading J&S Construction as the premier Design-Build firm in Tennessee. During the last decade, David K. Stites joined Jack and Johnny as the next generation of J&S leadership, helping to position the company as one of Tennessee’s top General Contractors.
J&S has been recognized numerous times for excellence in construction. Two of the firm's highest honors came when J&S received the Tennessee Quality Achievement Award. J&S Construction is the only contractor in the State of Tennessee to be awarded the Achievement Award from the Tennessee Center for Performance Excellence twice.
J&S Construction is also the first contractor in the state of Tennessee to complete a LEED Silver, LEED Gold and LEED Platinum Certified building and has designed and built over 131,000 square feet of LEED certified space.
Following its work on the Equipment Maintenance and Supply Complex at Ft. Campbell, Ky., J&S was awarded the Commander Coin of Excellence from Colonel Keith Landry at the 2010 United States Army Corps of Engineers’ Construction Roundtable Conference, a conference held for contractors, designers, suppliers and government officials. This coin is awarded at the discretion of the Commanding Officer for excellent performance in service to United States Army Corps of Engineers. Two of the six buildings completed were LEED Gold Certified by the U.S. Green Building Council. This certification was the first LEED Gold Certification on Ft. Campbell’s base, as well as marking the first LEED Gold Certification for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Louisville District.